Steven D. Kalavity
I have worked globally in the upstream energy and defense industries in varied geo-services professional positions, including data processing geodesist, mathematician, and geophysicist. I am a US citizen currently residing in Chiang Rai, Thailand. (My wife is a Thai citizen.)
I provide project planning, as well as commercial and operation risk assessment services. As a certified ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Lead Auditor, I apply a systems approach coupled with knowledge sharing to mitigate enterprise risks. W. Edward Deming’s Theory of Profound Knowledge management philosophy is embraced in what I call Knowledge Risk Management.
I enjoy writing / blogging. My marineseismicsurvey.com blogs focus on upstream oil and gas market analysis of the marine seismic streamer geophysical exploration industry, which I believe is indicative of the overall health and trend of the offshore oil and gas industry.
I am a strong advocate against workplace bullying and believe that the most safe and productive workplaces are team oriented, knowledge sharing / learning organizations where trust and civility are always on display and verifiable through positive results. I also write/blog about workplace culture and bullying.
- Marine Seismic Streamer Data Acquisition and Processing Commercial and Operational Project Planning and Risk Assessment.
- Data Processing project resource allocation and throughput optimization.
- Global experience working along with culturally and professionally diverse colleagues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills (English).
- Experience processing and analyzing large data sets using a variety of hardware and application platforms.
- Professional training and development, as well as classroom teaching experience
- Geophysical Consultant / Training – ISO 9001 Quality Management (Contract)
Knowledge Risk Management / Marine Seismic Survey, Houston, TX USA, March 2014-present
Various Positions with Affiliates of Petroleum Geo-Services ASA (PGS), Norway
- Contract Sales Supervisor – Africa Projects
PGS Exploration UK Limited, Weybridge, United Kingdom, September 2010 – December 2013
- Learning and Development and Quality Management Coordinator – Asia Pacific
PGS, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia March 2010 – September 2010
- Senior Geophysicist / Project Leader Data Processing – Asia Pacific
PGS, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia June 2008 – March 2010
- Senior Processing Geophysicist / Project Leader Data Processing – West Africa Centers
PGS, Luanda, Angola & Lagos, Nigeria 5-week Rotation 2005-2008
- Senior Processing Geophysicist/Geophysicist – On-board Seismic Data Processing/QC
PGS, Global Survey Vessels 5-week Rotation, 2000-2005
- GPS / Survey Equipment Sales
R.L. Sargent, Houston, TX, 2000
- Navigation Geophysicist
PGS, Houston, USA 1999-2000
- Field Geophysicist – Field Processing Development / Training and Development
PGS, Houston, USA 1998-1999
- On-board Navigation Data Processor
Western Geophysical, Vessels 6-week Rotation, 1997-1998
- Secondary/Middle School Teacher (Mathematics + substitute)
Gadsden Independent School District/Las Cruces, New Mexico 1996-1997
- Mathematician/Geodesist – – Electronic/Optical Tracking + Gravity/GPS/Geodetic
National Range Operations + Geodetic Survey Detachment 2, White Sands, New Mexico 1986-1995
Education and Training
- M.A. Secondary Education – New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM, USA, USA (1996)
- B.S. Solid Earth Geophysics – New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM, USA (1980 – 1983)